Have you ever wondered what a calorie actually is, how it is measured, and what it actually has to do with our biology – let alone our workouts? Well then this episode with Monica Reinagel, MS, LDN is for you.
Monica Reinagel has been helping people create healthier lives for more than 15 years through her Nutrition Diva podcast, books, online coaching programs, and in-person workshops.
As a licensed and board-certified nutritionist, her approach is grounded in science but is also practical and realistic. Monica also co-hosts the Change Academy podcast (with me) and runs the sustainable weight loss program, Weighless (also with me).
In this episode, we dig into:
- What the heck is a calorie?
- How do companies measure the calories in food?
- How do our bodies use the fuel we give them?
- How is calorie expenditure measured?
- How accurate are calorie-in counters (like MyFitnessPal)?
- How accurate are calorie-out counters (like FitBit or Apple Watch)?
- Is there anything we can learn from tracking calories?
- What do we miss when we focus too much on calories?
- What can we do instead of counting calories?
- What is the best way to fuel your workouts?